President
Barack Obama has told Central American leaders that migrant children
flooding into the US without legitimate legal claims will be sent home.
The presidents of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador met Mr
Obama at the White House on Friday to discuss the crisis at the US
southern border.
More than 50,000 children, many unaccompanied, have been detained at the border since October.
Mr Obama said they must deter more children from attempting the journey.
"All of us recognise that we have a shared responsibility to
address this problem," Mr Obama told reporters at the White House on
Friday, flanked by Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina, Honduran
President Juan Orlando Hernandez and El Salvador President Salvador
Sanchez Ceren.
"The only thing he said was that he was scared" - Rajini Vaidyanathan reports on America's illegal child migrants
He praised his Central American counterparts for their ongoing
efforts within their own nations to deter children from travelling
illegally to the US, but said more work must be done to combat the
"significant challenge" and alleviate the conditions that move parents
to send them on the perilous trip.
"We have to deter a continuing influx of children putting
themselves at great risk," he said. But he said, "Children who do not
have proper claims and families with children who do not have proper
claims at some point will be subject to repatriation to their home
countries."
The migrants - mostly from Central America - have been driven
north by a spike in gang violence in their home countries, by extreme
poverty, and amid incorrect rumours children will be allowed to stay if
they make it across the border.
Also at issue is a 2008 US law that grants unaccompanied
children from countries that do not border the US an automatic asylum
hearing, thereby preventing their immediate removal from the country.
In his remarks, Mr Obama called on Republicans in Congress to
postpone their upcoming August recess until they can approve
legislation increasing funding to ease the crisis.
Earlier this month, his administration requested $3.7bn
(£2.2bn) in emergency funds for tighter border security, care for the
children, detention and removal programmes, and immigration courts.
# KIM #
0 comments:
Post a Comment